How To Keep Skunks Away From Your PropertyPosted on December 9th, 2010
Skunks are slow animals, and being omnivorous will eat about everything they can find. As most people know they have a bad reputation because they spray a foul, pungent odor as a defense if they feel threatened. The fact that they are the size of a average house cat they can move around residential and suburban areas easily, in search of food. Pet food is obviously going to be something they will eat if they come across it, and it is easy to get to. Obviously this can be a problem, and if they spray your pets or children that is a whole other problem. Here are some tips to keep skunks out of your yard and away from your property.
1. Skunks are nocturnal, and will avoid well lit areas, so setting up motion detectors lights is a good deterrent.
2. There are skunk repellents available, that you can sprinkle on the ground around pet food. Be careful not to get it in the pet’s food.
3. Make sure any pet food containers outside are properly sealed, like in a big metal trash can with a well secured lid to prevent the smell of food from escaping. Also make sure the skunk can’t knock it over, using wire, rope, or any kind of tie down would help in securing it.
4. Skunks like to hang out under porches, so checking under porches for an unwanted skunk is a first start, if there is none under there sealing off any holes or openings would be wise. This will prevent any skunks from ever setting up shop under your porch.
5. Clearing rock and wood piles will prevent skunks from hanging around, because they like to hang around such piles. Any fallen trees or brush should be cleared as this attracts them as well.
6. Tall grass and weeds, just like brush and fallen trees is attractive to skunks because it allows them to move around easily and undetected.
7. If a skunk keeps hanging around after your have done all of these things, it would be wise to call an exterminator to see if they can trap it and relocate it somewhere far away.
8. If the worst happens and the skunk sprays your pet, your child or yourself well then you have a smelly problem that gets rubbed all over your furniture and house. A great solution for that is our Clear The Air Odor Eliminator for Skunks. This unique form of Earth Care Products Mineral can be sprinkled directly on your pet, as well as inside and out side to eliminate skunk odors. Clear The Air does not have to come into contact with the odor producer; it will pull the odors from the entire area. Clear The Air draws in odors like a powerful magnet. The odor are adsorbed, and neutralized without any fragrances. Clear The Air does not cover up odors; it literally “clears the air” leaving the air fresh and clean. Clear THe Air is made form an all natural mineral, is non toxic and biodegradable and safe for the Planet Earth. It is safe around children and pets even if eaten. Granules are totally safe for all lawns and vegetation. No need to remove granules from your lawn or vegetation, as they provide an excellent time-released nitrogen fertilizer.
One response to “How To Keep Skunks Away From Your Property”
This was really helpful recommendations
Leave a reply